Not to sound like a jerk, but online gunsmith classes aren’t for everyone. You have to have the right traits, habits and motivation so that you are not wasting time and money. Do you think you have the qualities necessary to be successful in one of the gunsmithing programs online?
If you are really serious about enrolling in online gunsmith classes, then you should know what it takes. In this article you will find out what traits to be a successful online student and why distance learning can be a viable way to learn a new trade. Plus, we will go over some of the advantages and disadvantages of online training.
Like the other articles on our website, we will give you the straight dope about the traits for online gunsmith classes. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please feel free to email us at any time. The goal of this site to be informative and helpful for anyone who wants to get the training to become a gunsmith today. So your feedback is much appreciated and remember we must protect the 2nd Amendment!
What Are Online Gunsmith Classes?
In a perfect world, everyone would have the time and money to attend school so they can better themselves and find a career they enjoy. Sadly enough, this isn’t a perfect world. Most people have other responsibilities that can interfere with trying to get ahead such as full-time jobs, family or personal obligations. This is one of the main reasons why over the past decade, online schools – also known as distance learning or correspondence schools – have grown dramatically.
If you fall in this boat of a jammed schedule or maybe you don’t live close enough to a training program, online gunsmith classes can get you started. Online classes are set up with you in mind. Schedules are flexible enough to allow you study when you have the time. The best party is, you will be able to get great training in gunsmithing that can help you prepare you for a lasting career.
The training you will get through accredited online gunsmith classes is comparable to the training you would get in a traditional classroom. You will be taught by experienced gunsmiths through lectures and videos you watch on your computer. Not only that, since online classes are set up to work at your own pace, you may actually be able to graduate quicker than if you went to a traditional school.
Sounds pretty good, right? Take a look at the tabs below to see if you are the type of person who could excel in online gunsmith classes. If you have the drive and ambition, more than likely it is a perfect match.
What Are Some Good Traits for Online Gunsmithing Programs?
The following are some of the personal traits and habits that help make you a successful student in online gunsmith classes. While we cannot promise that you will be successful with these traits or you will fail miserably without them, we can say that they are very helpful. Take a few minutes to read these and see how many sound like you.
- Passion: You have to have a certain passion for firearms or you may become bored out of your mind
- Motivation: The desire to learn is a must especially since you won’t have an instructors looking over your shoulder
- Focused: You need to create your own timeline, make goals and be focused on achieving those goals… remember, you are spending money to learn a trade that you want for your career so you need to go for it
- Reading Comprehension: Having the ability to read your training guide, understand it, remember it and put it in to practice is really helpful
- Asking for Help: Yes, I know most of us don’t like to ask for help when we really need it but trust us, your life will be 10X harder if you don’t know when to ask for some help on issues, problems or your homework
- Time Management: Since you are setting your own class schedule, you will need to pick the times that best fit your life and do it… don’t slack off
- Self-Starting: This is a lot like combination of motivation and desire in which you will need to turn off the TV and start studying on your own
- Attention Span: Unlike that health class back in high school, you will need to keep your attention on your studies by watching and even re-watching lectures or videos until you understand it
- Getting Rid of Distractions: You should have the ability to block out the world around you so you can pay attention to your studies
- Organize: Organization is a big one as you will need to keep track of all of your work, where are you are in your studies and where you last put your class materials you were working on… a clean desk is a center for learning
- Not Afraid of Technology: Having some idea how to work a computer, typing on a keyboard, using email and other techie things are pretty darned important if you are taking online gunsmith classes
- Patience: Along the way you will make mistakes so instead of punching a hole through the wall, you will need to have the ability to learn from your mistakes, get back up and overcome it… kind of like that level in GTAV that is a pain to complete
- Open Mind: You might know your way around your firearms but that doesn’t mean you know everything, listen to the instructors and follow their directions so that you can possibly pick up new tips and techniques for your future career
- Writing Skills: Almost all of your tests, work and communications will be through the written word, you don’t have to be Shakespeare but at least be able to write well enough so that others can understand you
How Do You Prepare for Online Gunsmith Classes?
While it is an exciting idea that you can study from anywhere and at any time when attending online gunsmith classes, there is something slightly important about creating a routine. Below are some helpful tips and suggestions that can make your experiences in online education a lot better.
- Set a Schedule: Online schools are best known for their flexible schedules but you should still try to make a routine of when you are studying so you can keep on track
- Make a Study Area: Even though you can study from anywhere, creating a small area that is free from distractions and noises will greatly increase your ability to learn
- Study, Not Play: When you sit down to take your online gunsmith classes, you may be tempted to play that game on your computer… uninstall it if you can or at least hide the shortcut on your desktop so you it makes it a bit harder to go to the game
- No Surfing: You are there to study not to go to your favorite websites, read your email or look at pictures of funny cats… use this desire to surf the web or check out social media until after you have completed your allotted study time
- Cell Phone Free Zone: Turn off your cell phone or make it a rule that you do not have it in your study area… text messages and phone calls can wait until you have finished
- Investments: Buy some noise reduction headphones so that you can pay attention more to your lessons and less to that annoying neighbor kid trying to become the next Tony Hawk outside your window you may also need to get a webcam, depending on the requirements of the classes
- Adequate Lighting: Do not study in the dark since it can strain your eyes and cause headaches… try to make your study area light well enough (at least as bright as the computer monitor) to avoid these issues
- Ergonomics: Make adjustments to your chair, computer monitor and keyboard so they are comfortable and not too high or low
- Make Contact: Before you start your training, visit or contact your instructors to let them know who you are so it can be easier to contact them as you are taking the classes
- Bookmark Folder: Make a special bookmark folder and subfolders for your class materials, programs and websites you will be using to study so you can save time
- Clear and Clean: Your study area should be somewhat clean and clear of needless clutter with everything organized so you can find what you need quickly
- Download: Outside of needing to download you class programs you may consider downloading some video chat software like Skype… most of these offer free versions
- Pen and Paper: Although you will be doing a great majority of your work on the computer you should still have a pad of paper and a pen handy to take notes since it is quite normal for humans to forget over 40% of what they just heard
- Meeting: Don’t be afraid to reach out to fellow students in your online gunsmith classes to talk with them about assignments or even meet with them to study for an exam
- Plan for Care: If you have the responsibility to watch over your children or you care for the elderly in your family, find someone who can take away this responsibility while you study since you want uninterrupted study time
- Goal List: Before you start your training write down a timeline you that it is possible to complete your studies and try to keep to it… mark off achievements as you go along so you can show your progress
- Be Prepared: Before you start your study time get everything you need so you don’t have stop and get up… this means get your drink and whatever else you plan on having before you sit down
- Breaks: It is very helpful to take a short 5 to 10 minute break for every hour of study… get up, walk around, stretch and use the bathroom
- Study Group: You can easily set up a study group of with other local students to go over class materials or to help each other get through some of the rough spots
- Never Skip: Make it a priority that you never skip or you are never late to your appointed study time since they can lead to larger cases of procrastination
- Review: If you have spare time outside of your allotted study time and other responsibilities, spend a few minutes going over your notes to help remember it all
What Are Some Advantages of Online Schooling?
There are some amazing advantages to taking online gunsmith classes that you may not know about. We’ve already mentioned some of these advantages but there even more. Check out our list of the top 11 advantages you can enjoy while taking online classes.
- Flexible Schedules: You know the drill, you can study at any time of the day or night that best fits your busy schedule
- Comfortable Surroundings: You can’t deny the ability to take your classes while in the comfort of your own home doesn’t sound pretty darned good
- No Travelling: Outside of your lab or hands-on practice, you don’t have to drive to school, so no dealing with traffic, parking or paying for gas
- Hours: As mentioned previously, you can study at any time 24/7 which means that you can fit your classes in to fit your moods if you are a morning person or a night owl
- Study Anywhere: Yes, we recommended that you create a study zone in your home but legitimately you can study from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection… hello beaches of Hawaii!
- Cash Money: Believe it or not, online classes can save you some cash… not only are some programs cheaper than traditional schools but you won’t have to pay for gas, parking, wear and tear on the car or even food on campus
- Made For You: Since online gunsmith classes are completed in your own time, you pick how fast or how slow it takes you to complete your studies
- Concentrate Easier: Let’s face it, some people have a hard time concentrating with lots of people talking around them… so studying in your safe study zone can eliminate these problems
- Setting The Pace: If you have the need or desire to get through online gunsmith classes very quick, you have that ability since you pacing yourself… a lot of students report that they can finish classes or chapters way faster than they would have in a traditional school
- Tech Comfort: The more time you spend working on the computer, the more comfortable you will get with it and other tech products… this can be important with the evolving world of technology in everyday life
- Level of Learning: We’ve mentioned this before but accredited online gunsmith classes should give you the same type and level of education you would get from a traditional classroom style program
What Are Some of the Disadvantages of Online Gunsmith Courses?
Although there are a lot of great things to praise for online schools, there are some disadvantages to it too. To be fair, as we always are, we are presenting the ugly or bad side of online classes. Below is a list of the top disadvantages or problems experienced by former online students.
- Old Tech: Online gunsmith classes can be a problem if you have an older computer or a slow internet connection… this can be avoided by checking with the school requirements and recommendations for their program
- No Drive: Some students report that they can’t get themselves to study because there isn’t a hard timeline that they must meet
- Lack of Routine: Some people must have a strict routine created by authority to follow and can’t create their own… some of these students say that the lack of a set routine makes it hard to get going
- Lack of Competition: Really competitive people thrive on being the best in most situations and they find that working alone at home they miss the competitive nature of a classroom environment
- Non-Social: We’ve been told that a number of students missed interacting live and creating bounds with classmates they would normally experience while in a traditional program
- No Tech Skills: If you don’t have any tech skills or have an issue running a computer, then you may have an awful time in online gunsmith classes since that is part of the entire program
- No Smiley Faces: Unlike traditional schools, you most likely will not be getting kudos for completing your work or doing something correctly when taking online classes… some students felt this lack of positive reinforcement drained their will and desire to learn
- Looked Down On: Some students in the past have reported that their online degrees were looked down upon by employers but this is changing as more people are getting their education via the internet
Why Should I Consider Enrolling in Online Gunsmith Classes?
Like most people, you probably thought you could only get gunsmith training by physically going to a school. While this might be the preferred method of most there are some people that do not have that opportunity available to them. Here are a few reasons you should seriously consider enrolling in online gunsmith classes.
- There are no campus based training programs in your area
- You currently are working a full-time job and can’t afford to skip work for training
- You are responsible for child care in your home
- You are thinking of learning gunsmithing as a hobby
- You are currently recovering from an injury that prohibits you from going to a campus school
- You feel you can get a better education through online classes
- You are looking to change your career but can’t swing going to school full-time
- You need a refresher course on the materials
- You just don’t like dealing with people in general
- You have a disability that makes going to a campus based program difficult
- You do not have reliable transportation to get to a school
- It is possible to get a degree from some of the best gunsmithing schools in the country without having to relocate
- Accredited online gunsmith classes are most likely covered under federal financial aid programs
- You can actually save money on tuition, gas, food and parking to name a few things
- You won’t be required to buy expensive textbooks
- Self-pacing study is perfect for people who are typically quicker when learning
- Online programs work great for when you are having trouble with a subject since you can keep reviewing the material over and over before testing on it
- If you are all business, you can usually get through a training program a lot quicker than through a normal school
- You can take your exams when you are good and ready to take them rather than being told when to
Do You Have What it Takes?
Are you currently in a situation where you want to train to be a gunsmith but can’t swing it to go to a campus-based school? Are you looking to make a career change or thinking about enhancing your hobby? Do you think you have the mettle and skills to go through online gunsmith classes?
On this page you got the chance to see what it takes and what you should know about online schools. As we have said, they are not for everyone but if you are the right type or have no other options, it may be the way to go. In no time, you could complete your online gunsmith classes and start a career that you really like!